WICHITA, Kan. (KSNW) — As it eventually starts off to feel like wintertime in Wichita, extra Kansans are warming up their cars just before heading to their vacation spot. Lots of depart their automobiles unlocked throughout this time, leaving them susceptible to theft.
In 2020, The us saw the most automobile thefts in a lot more than a ten years. That upward development continued via 2021.
“There could not be a resolution that will take less time and hard work, and still the financial savings could be remarkable,” claims Gary Tomes, spokesperson for AAA Insurance coverage in Kansas. “More often than not, vehicle theft is a criminal offense of possibility. Lock your car or truck, consider your keys and choose that prospect away.”
In accordance to the newest studies furnished by the Countrywide Insurance plan Crime Bureau (NICB):
- Over-all, there were 880,595 car thefts nationwide in 2020
- Across Kansas, practically 9,500 persons described their cars stolen in 2020
- Kansas observed a virtually 15% raise in stolen automobiles in 2020 as when compared to 2019
The top rated 10 automobiles claimed stolen in Kansas have been:
- Ford pickup (complete dimension)
- Chevrolet pickup (full dimension)
- Dodge pickup (comprehensive dimensions)
- Honda Accord
- Honda Civic
- GMC pickup (comprehensive dimension)
- Toyota Camry
- Nissan Altima
- Ford Fusion
- Chevrolet Impala
“We are happy to help purchasers get well their losses, but we’d be even happier if they could enable them to avoid the harrowing knowledge of owning their car stolen in the to start with place by simply taking away the keys,” Tomes said.
According to AAA Insurance plan, the regular declare for automobiles stolen in 2020 was practically $7,500 for each auto nationwide, which may possibly or may possibly not be coated by insurance policy.
“Only extensive insurance policies policies cover stolen vehicles,” Tomes stated. “AAA encourages vehicle owners to review their insurance policies with their advisers to make guaranteed they are lined.”
Auto legal responsibility coverage is expected nationwide, but protection versus theft is optional.
AAA Insurance ideas for defending your vehicle versus theft:
- Never depart your automobile working with the keys in it. By no means.
- By no means leave your keys in the car – the effortless ‘keyless’ feature is not only convenient for the vehicle proprietor, it is hassle-free for the thief who can steal your automobile with the touch of a button.
- Lock your vehicle – even with out the keys, robbers are additional most likely to steal a auto remaining unlocked
- Park your car or truck in a garage or a effectively-lit location – at home, at the shopping mall or on the street, constantly test to park in an place where by suspicious exercise would be recognizable.
- Hold valuables out of sight.
- Training these strategies all year round.
If you need to heat your automobile up all through the colder months or days if you’re in Kansas, use your spare key. Lock your car or truck with your spare critical or essential fob following you begin your car or truck so that it can warm up when however being protected.
Any individual with facts concerning insurance fraud or vehicle theft can report it anonymously by contacting toll-free 800.TEL.NICB (800.835.6422) or distributing a sort on the NICB web site.